The Value of the Mass

The Value of the Mass
Up to our own times, it has been the constant concern of supreme pontiffs to ensure that the Church of Christ offers a worthy ritual to the Divine Majesty, 'to the praise and glory of His name,' and 'to the benefit of all His Holy Church - Pope Benedict XVI, Summorum Pontificum

Thursday, January 10, 2008

From the Sacristy

I figured since my last post that I would do a couple of entries on the various vestments here at Holy Family. This post is on one of my favorite vestments here. This is our Roman set of Marian vestments. The center embroidery on this vestment is actually quite old. It was taken off of it's original vestment and sent to the Benedictine nuns in Kansas City to be placed on one of their new vestments. The results are stunning!The really amazing thing about this vestment is the detail in the embroidery. Even as old as this centerpiece is on this vestment, which is over 100 years if I remember correctly, it retains a tremendous amount of detail. I know that the Benedictines in Kansas City are building skills to embroider like this, but I don't know if they've reached this point quite yet. This is really a case of "they don't build them like they used to."