The Value of the Mass

The Value of the Mass
Up to our own times, it has been the constant concern of supreme pontiffs to ensure that the Church of Christ offers a worthy ritual to the Divine Majesty, 'to the praise and glory of His name,' and 'to the benefit of all His Holy Church - Pope Benedict XVI, Summorum Pontificum

Friday, January 18, 2008

Longing for Return







I have had many discussions in the past with my friends regarding my attitudes toward the Orthodox churches. Although we have roadblocks that seperate us, I personally enjoy the company of an orthodox over a modernist any day.


Of all the Orthodox churches that I long to come back into communion with Rome is the one the seems the farthest away. That is the Orthodox church of Russia. In my opinion, they have the most beautiful churches and traditions of all of the orthodox churches. They are also a strong willed people (part of what keeps them from unity with the Pope) forged by decades of oppression. While I continue to lament their seperation from us, I constantly look to their art as sources of beauty in my life. I hope you will enjoy some as well.

No comments: